What is your vision for Westwego in 2020?
I can't say exactly where we will be in 3 years but I have ideas about the direction that we need to moving in. We need to take a step back and look at the new government buildings we have acquired to service the community and ask ourselves what we need and what we would like to have to improve the quality of life in Westwego. I think many of us living in District 3 would feel that over the last 4-8 years, our lives have not been dramatically changed because of our city government, but has anything been improved. Can it be? I definitely answer yes, there are many things we can do as civic leaders to improve the quality of our lives. I would like to share with you now. some of the ideas I have or directions I believe we should be moving in.
- We need new sources of revenue other than tax increases. There are not many sites that are within the city limits that can accommodate growth. But if Segnette Estates was developed, the property taxes on the new homes would make a substantial increase in the city's revenue. Should the city work with the developer to promote the property?
- Water Pressure - The past eight years, we have talked about low water pressure on the south side of the expressway, east of the Keyhole Canal. First we would get a water tower, then a booster pump. We need to push forward on this issue.
- Communication - It would be great if meetings were televised, but that won't happen without the city having to pay for it. And it would be great if citizens had time to make the monthly meetings (held the second Monday of each month at 6:00 pm), but everyone has such hectic lives. So I feel it important to bring the news to the people. I would again have an online newsletter about city and civic matters, and I pledge an annual "state of the district" report delivered to your door.
- Drainage - This is always an issue in Louisiana and where the water flows or stands seems to change over the years, so this is an issue we always need to be aware of and keep an eye on!
- Small businesses- I want to see Westwego be seen as friendly to small businesses. We need coordination in our government departments to assist new businesses that want to open in Westwego. I would like to see our city government encourage entrepreneurship and networking among our young adults who are forming their own small businesses.
- I hope to post more as the weeks go on. Ideas, comments? Please share them with me at LHValence@ aol.com.
I would love to hear them.